May 3, 2010

DIY silhouette project: one big melon

I've learned two things from completing a DIY silhouette project:
A) It was much easier and quicker to accomplish than I had thought, and
B) Geez, my kid has a giant noggin

Let's take it from the top:

First, I considered a few profile photos of Griffin that I took when I stumbled upon him wearing his sister's dress-up necklaces and playing with her toy mobile phone (don't mind the little bump on his head...it was probably from one of countless times he's barreled into a wall).

Next, I printed out the photo with the best profile and gathered my supplies of a pencil (bunny pencils are the household standard), sharp scissors, black construction paper and tracing paper.

Next, I sandwiched the papers in the following order: picture on top, tracing paper in the middle, and construction paper on the bottom.  I taped it to the table before tracing so the image wouldn't move around, then I used the pencil to outline his profile on top of the photo.

You can see where the tracing paper is a little sensitive and leaves marks, but it was ok because I was going to show the opposite side.  You'll also see that I modified the neckline with my pencil, too.

I then cut along the traced line and bingo! Instant DIY silhouette.  It took me longer finding the right photo than the ten minutes to print, trace and cut the image out.

Wavey's silhouette will most likely be harder to do because she has curly hair to work around, but I'll cross (and curse) that bridge when I get there.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe how easy it turned out! It's great! And I, too, belong to the big noggin club so definitely pull out the 12x12 craft sheet for me ;o)

hugs
Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

so cute! You make it seem so easy :) Time to get out the camera and start stalking the kids...& I, too, can be added to the big noggin club - haha

Lindsay - Pen and Paint said...

What a precious silhouette.
Mr.C has THE biggest head-from his daddy. At one of his check ups (let's say 6 mo b/c I can't remember) the dr said, "Oh, he has a head the size of a one year old."

Amy said...

So easy and what a perfect personalized gift. You son is such a cutie too!

I thought it was so funny that you used the term noggin. I say that all the time to Ava and now that's what she calls her head.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Came out great and I love the lemony background!

JULIAN & Co. said...

so very cool!!!

Into Ablivia said...

Awesome! Poor Griff-his head is not that big.

Lelan @ Good Gravy! said...

Thanks for all your nice comments! I think it was deceptively easy because Griffin has such a short hair cut. We'll see how Ms. Wavey's goes.

Mandy England said...

Saw this link on Paint Me a Picture. Your silhouette really turned out great!! I'll have to try it at some point! :]